Not so long ago, beard beads would be characterized as something only hipsters wear.
You would be dismissed with something like: ‘Beard beads? Are you serious, dude? Real men don’t wear that.’
Today, they’re symbols of uniqueness, bravery and sexiness.
Only a man who’s not afraid of his masculinity and power dares to pull them off.
So, what exactly changed?
Let’s just say Jason Momoa aka Khal Drogo happened.
He started the revolution and more men (famous or not) followed.
It soon became obvious that real men not only wear beard beads, they totally rock the look.
The question is: Are you ready (and brave enough) to join them?
If you are, here’s the selection of top, epic beard beads that’ll look incredible in your facial hair and the guide on how to wear them.
Table Of Contents
Top 5 Best Beard Beads (Summary)
These are unbiased opinions based on using products in our homes or barbershops. None of the reviews are sponsored or paid to be promoted. Beardoholic is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through links on our site. Thank you.
|WILLBOND|| ||Check on Amazon|
|Qingsi|| ||Check on Amazon|
|PIAOPIAONIU|| ||Check on Amazon|
|Yahpetes|| ||Check on Amazon|
|Hanpabum|| ||Check on Amazon|
For more detailed and complete product reviews on benefits and features, keep reading.
So what are beard beads? As the name suggests, these refer to decorative beads that you can use to enhance your facial hair’s look. You can use these beads to hold your braided beard or control and give shape to it. You also don’t have to worry about making your face look like it is bedazzled if you wear these bits of jewelry.
9 Best Beard Beads Reviewed
In modern times, classic and antique fashion is still in demand. So if you need a replica of the original Viking accessories to emphasize an extraordinary manner, these 24 pieces of Norse Viking hair beads from Willbond are a perfect choice.
The set is complete and you can take it anywhere and use it anytime needed. The package includes 6 pieces of pull-hair pins and 160 parts of rubber bands ready to use. Moreover, should you decide to use it as a bracelet or pendant for your necklace, you have everything you need in a pouch ready to be assembled.
The beads exhibit the authentic Viking designs intricately embossed on each alloy bead. This type of artistic design catches every attention, whether it is in your hair, beard, or part of your hand or neck accessories.
The bead’s dimension is 1.3 cm long with 1.0 outside diameter. That is why it is not big and I would say, just the right size for any age who wishes to use them.
Both the young and the old love these mysterious designs from the Viking ages. These indeed are runic alphabets or also known as Futhark, based on the first six letters of the runic alphabet, namely; F, U, Th, A, R, and K. Having these beads not only showcase an era of mystical origin but an appreciation of popular culture in olden times.
- 24 different character beads are made of durable material (zinc alloy)
- Scratch-resistant beads
- Comes with excellent quality threading tools
- Complete set of accessories for regular use
- Elastic bands are not reusable and easy to break
The Viking’s runic alphabet reminds us of ancient culture and the creative works of art during that era. Adding these symbols in our modern fashion creates retro styles and classic beauty. And to highlight this artistic craftsmanship, YMHPRIDE Brand has provided us with unique styles and enough lines of Northern European symbols.
With their set of 80 pieces of Viking beard beads, including several antique Norse hair tube beads, along with dreadlock beads for hair braiding, styling can never go wrong.
Moreover, you can use these beads and spirals as bracelets and pendants for your daily use. All of these accessories go handy with a provided box for your convenience.
The beads are not so tiny and yet not too big. They are made of alloy metal for toughness and durability. The best thing about this set is its diversity. With lots of designs and symbols to choose from, styling and matching can be achieved easily.
The spiral tubes are best used for beards because of their oval shapes that complement the arc of the chin. On the other hand, the helical silver elements break the monotony of the beads and tubes. Overall, combinations can be harmoniously designed for long braided hair as well.
- Good for moisturizing and taming your beard
- Features Stagecoach Scent
- Not tested on animals
- Can be hard to get the balm out of its contain
Most Viking beads are silver and black combination color and design. That is what these beads are so famous for. They truly represent the medieval ages and retro fashion. But the Qingsi Brand stands out due to its addition of intricate design, with colors like blue and red on some tubular beads.
If you need to emphasize a particular part of your dreadlock beard, this is where you need to put those colored beads or the tubular beads with extraordinary symbols. It will make your fashion jewelry stand out. Whether you use it for your dread hairstyle or beard, or even as a pendant, or vintage bracelets, no doubt it’s an eye-catcher for anyone who truly appreciates authentic Viking culture.
But one of its practical purposes apart from fashion is it helps dread beards or braided hair in place so that it will not get into your way while you engage in your daily activities or work. With various designs and symbols to choose from, keeping you neat is made easy and fashionable.
With this set, you get 24 pcs of beads with the runic alphabet on them and 16 pieces of tubular beads with medieval designs and mystical symbols to choose from (40 details total beads).
- Made from zinc alloy metal for enhanced durability
- Stylish colored accents on some tubes
- Unique designs and mystical symbols on the tubular beads
- Storage pouch included
- No rubber bands included in the set
Black and silver colors emphasize medieval fashion. But if not carefully used, it may create monotony and dullness in a particular style. The same is true with Viking beads and tubes, which generally come with only two tones, black and silver.
This is where PIAOPIAONIU Brand gets its advantage. The set of 57 beads and dreadlocks is more than enough to break the monotony of the black and silver tones. They added 10 metallic brown tubes, 10 silver tubes, 7 bronze cylinders, and 3 longer tubes with extraordinary designs.
This variety of bead sizes, shapes, colors, and designs can create a more sophisticated medieval fashion. Nevertheless, it still maintains the authenticity of Viking culture. Alternating the various tubes and beads will break the color monotony. While using the bigger tubes (3 pieces) will accentuate the part where you use them.
These varieties of designs are suitable enough to make your bracelets and medieval necklaces with head-turner pendants. The options for combinations are endless. Whether you use them for your dread hairstyle, to put your braided beard in place, or make a medieval fashion out of it, this set is truly versatile.
- More designs to choose from and to combine with
- Made from very durable zinc alloy metal
- Velvet pouch bag included
- Rubber bands and plastic pull-hair pins not included in the set
Every Viking bead set includes the runic alphabet. It is the most common medieval design of dreadlock beads. However, the addition of more metallic tubes and colors is a plus. And with all the rubber bands and pull-hair pins you will ever need for several months, all together in a set, it is a game-changer compared to other sets.
This is what I like about the Willbond Brand with their 63-piece set. You have everything you need for a more extended period—all in one collection of medieval yet fashionable artifact accessories.
Creating patterns of dreadlocks is easier with a complete set of the runic alphabet beads (24 pieces), combined with 15 brown tubes, 12 bronze tubes, and 12 silver tubes. Use these beads alternately to create stylish patterns and designs. On the other hand, you may use one type for only a day or two and use another design on the following day.
That is one advantage of having quite many beads to choose from. The patterns and design combinations are unlimited, both for hairstyles and DIY fashion jewelry. Try to experiment with alternate ways and with consistent patterns of designs. You will be amazed at what other combinations you can create.
- 63 pieces of dreadlock beads in various shapes, colors, and designs
- 10 pieces pull hair pins included in the set (more extras)
- 500 parts of black rubber bands (more than enough)
- High-quality beads made of zinc alloy
- Pull-hair pins may break if used on thicker dreads
If you are testing the waters and relatively new with the retro fashion of medieval times, this set from MYAROMA FINDINGS is what you are looking for. These 24 Viking beads are precisely the twenty-four runic alphabet letters, also known as Futhark. The term Futhark was derived from the first six letters of the runic alphabet.
You can make two to three bracelets from this 24-piece set of beads. They can be used as pendants or a whole bunch of beads to form a medieval necklace. You can use these beads as part of dreadlocks, beards, and hairstyles.
What I appreciate with this set is how each bead was intricately crafted with refined details. This is precisely what we expect from a fine replica of the authentic Norse rings and hair beads. Moreover, the combination of black and silver colors exhibits a Viking tradition and art worthy of compliment.
The set may not have the pull-hair pins and rubber bands like most sets do, but DIY tools can be used. Like for example, dental floss to substitute the pull-hair pins.
- Longer in length compared to most beads with runic letters
- Made of zinc alloy with silver plating
- A complete set of the runic alphabet characters
- Comes with a colorful fabric pouch with pull strings
- Pull-hair pins and rubber bands not included in the set
The Triquetra Viking symbolizes “no beginning and no end.” This may also indicate eternity. This is a widespread belief during the Viking era. The Triquetra, on the other hand, means “three corners or three-cornered.” It is also one of the most popular triple knot designs in medieval times.
If you are intrigued by the Triquetra Viking belief of eternity, the Yahpetes Brand will help you be reminded of those traditions and beliefs. The set includes 2 pieces of beads with triquetra Viking symbols matched with silver and black color combinations to give that pure Viking look.
This set is ideal for dreadlocks, beards, and braided hairstyles that need medieval accents like a retro fashion or just a hair organizer. The beads are so refined and meticulously crafted that you can use them as an elegant pendant or bracelet accessory.
Furthermore, the bead design and symbol feature carefully sculpted Triquetra, showcasing a sophisticated and miniaturized design to help us appreciate medieval culture.
The 2-piece set may seem incomplete without the bands and pins, but the real deal lies in the intricate artistry made on each bead that makes these beads stand out.
- With a unique symbol of Celtic Knot or Triquetra carefully crafted
- Made of high-quality zinc alloy metal
- Rust-resistant and durable
- Set consists of 2 pieces of beads only
Are you the type of person who wants to try something new? Or do you want to try something old and classic? Well, if the classic retro style you want, then the LynnAround Brand of bronze dreadlock beads is the perfect choice for you.
LynnAround Brand is a set of two shiny bronze Thor’sThor’s Hammer Irish Viking beads delicately crafted to emphasize the traditional culture and tradition of the Viking era. You can use them as hair beads or beard rings. You can opt to use it as a pendant or just a simple retro ornament.
If you find the medieval style of using these Viking beads attractive and valuable, then it is time to consider the bigger set of 12 or 24 pieces for a more variety of styles and patterns for your hair, beard, bracelets, or necklaces.
As for this 2-piece set, the options are limited but still worth the try because of its unique design, craftsmanship, and authentic medieval work of art. The bronze color is authentically medieval and classic. Together they radiate a particular type of jewelry.
The medieval symbol in each bead represents the most fantastic way to infuse the Viking tradition and culture when ancient Vikings used to display them to project wealth and power. Indeed, these two beads are pretty tiny, but they depict an era of greatness and a high level of status symbol.
- Made of finest quality bronze
- Lead, cadmium, and nickel free
- Elegant design
- A set of only 2 pieces
Viking culture still lives on. Their tradition is still among us. We may not be living as the Vikings did, but using these beads brings back the times how Vikings display their wealth, power, and status.
That might not be our intended display, but these rune beads radiate a unique retro style and vibe. And one of the best ways to do this is by using the Hanpabum Brand with a complete set of 24 silver pieces of beads with runic alphabet characters and another 24 shiny bronze with runic alphabet characters.
The set of 48 total pieces of beads is multi-functional. You can use them as dreadlocks for your braided hair or beard. Moreover, you can make a pattern of symbols or colors for your bracelets, necklaces, and pendants.
If you need just the runic alphabet characters in every bead without the symbols in different tubes and spirals, this set is just the right one for you. The beads’ simplicity is accentuated with the silver and shiny bronze combination. Such a pattern of colors is undoubtedly a head-turner and very useful for both the young and old.
- The beads are made of metal alloy with a smooth inner lining and smooth edges
- Includes 48 pieces of rune beads in 2 colors
- 100 pieces of rubber bands enough to last long
- Comes with a colorful linen pouch
- The small pull-hair pin breaks easily, while the bigger one is a bit bigger for the beads
Benefits of Using Beard Beads
If you are still undecided about beard beads, then the following benefits of wearing one will surely encourage you to give it a try.
Keeps Your Beard Neat and Tidy
If you are like most men who cannot seem to keep facial hair under control, using beard beads can genuinely help keep them neat, tidy, and glorious-looking. Note that you cannot just comb your beard and expect it to stay in place, unlike the hair on your head. However, using a beard bead, or two or three, will ensure that they will stay where you want them.
Gives Your Beard More Character
Although a well-kept full beard is already a spectacle, you can grab even more attention if you decide to place beads to style your facial hair. You can use as many beads on your beard as it can hold. Doing so will give it an eccentric and interesting look.
Makes You Stand Out
If you are growing a beard because you want to make yourself stand out from the rest of the crowd, you can further improve your chances by using beard beads to accentuate your facial hair. Who could miss someone who has a full beard and beads hanging from it?
Makes You Look Like a Badass
There is actual historical evidence of the Vikings wearing beard beads, making them the manliest form of jewelry you can have. If you can manage to grow your beard to the point that you can braid it, using a beard bead is a big help. It can keep it in place, making you look like you will be hopping onto a boat and then raid and pillage a nearby town.
How Do They Work
There are different kinds of beard beads, but the way they work is essentially the same. For instance, if you want to style your beard into exciting designs, the beads will hold the hair in place. It works just like hair clips.
You have to thread the hairs through the beads enough to hold the bead in place. After that, you can position it wherever you want. If your beard is not that long, you can use smaller beads. The bigger ones are for fuller and longer beards.
Historians and archaeologists have identified several ancient cultures where the men wore beads in their beards. The main reason is that they do not have wax for facial hair with a very strong hold for styling. One of the most popular cultures that come to mind is the Norse Vikings, where the clans used to style their hair and beards using silver or steel beads.
These beads usually have runes carved in them to serve as protection for the wearer. Other ancient European civilizations were found to use beard beads and rings, like the Celts, whose adornments have intricate designs carved into them. There is also archaeological evidence that beard decorations have been around since the time of the Ancient Egyptians. Beard beads have been around for a long time. They just had a resurgence in popularity lately.
Pros and Cons
- Keep your beard from straying. This is good news for men whose beard cannot seem to keep their shape no matter how much they brush. A beard bead will force your facial hair to stay in its place, which is usually a feat for the best beard grooming kit. You no longer have to part your whiskers whenever you need to take a drink, thanks to your beard beads holding them in place.
- Weigh down your beard. This can prevent the wind from blowing your beard. If you like to ride a motorcycle down the highway or live in a place where always seems to be gale-force winds, then you will like having metal beard beads holding your whiskers. They will stay in place, which can also make you feel comfortable.
- Provide multiple styling options. The common problem that most men who grew out their beards have is that they have minimal styling options. Some only brush their beards to keep the hairs in place. With beard beads, you can easily braid your whiskers. You may also braid the bottom of your beard or place several beads at the bottom. The possibilities are virtually endless.
- Allow you to stand out. Having a beard was quite a statement in the 90s when most men sported the clean-shaven mug. However, these days, growing a full beard is quite popular. It is not uncommon to find men who look like lumberjacks who have been in the woods for years. This means that just having a beard is not enough reason to stand out. However, if you style your beard using premium beard jewelry, you can stand out from the crowd even better.
- You need to have a full and long beard to use them. If you have patchy facial hair or your beard is just an inch or so long, then you can’t wear beard beads at all. Your beard needs to be at least 3 to 4 inches long so you can hang at least one bead off the whiskers.
If you are seriously thinking about growing a beard, then note that you can use a wide range of jewelry for it. Among the types of beard jewelry that any man can use are:
- Beard rings. As the name suggests, a beard ring is a piece of jewelry you wear on your beard. It looks similar to the kind of rings that you wear on your fingers but much smaller. In most cases, the openings of these rings are just a quarter of an inch in diameter.
- Beard beads. These are quite similar to the beard rings. The only difference is that they are taller, making them ideal for longer and thicker beards more often. Sometimes, you can also use the beard beads to hold braided beads and prevent unraveling hair.
- Other beard adornments. There are other things that you can use to give your beard a bit more personality. You can find things that look and work like earrings. The only difference is that you can use them specifically for your beard. They do not serve any other purpose other than making it look like your beard has a piercing.
How to Wear Them
Have you decided to start wearing beard beads? Then the following ways of wearing the beard beads are surely among the best styling options:
Braided Beard Beads
You need to grow a long and thick beard to make a decently simple braid out of it. It would be best if you then used a beard bead to hold the end of the braid. Alternatively, you can use two beads – one at the bead’s base and another at the terminating end.
Beard Rings, Braids and Dreadlocks
You can use several beard rings to put them at different length positions, making them look like dreadlocks. If you want to make them look like dreadlocks, you can use bright-colored plastic beard rings. If you will be using dreadlocks, shave or shape your stubble with a trimmer to make your dreads look quite decent.
How to Attach Beard Beads
Ideally, before attaching beard beads, you have to shampoo and dry your beard. You can also use an entirely natural softener for the beard. This product can help make the hairs much easier to work with.
Step 1 – Comb your beard
You need to get the beard hairs as straight as they could be. It means you will need to brush or comb your beard for a couple of minutes. Now, you do not need to make your beard perfectly neat. You can stop when there is already a semblance of control.
Step 2 – Tie off a section of your beard
Grab a bit of your beard where you would like to wear a beard ring. Use a beard tie to prevent the whiskers from fraying.
Step 3 – Prepare the bead
To make it easier for you to thread your beard through the bead, thread a bit of string through the bead first. Hold the string to form a loop, thread it through the bead, and make sure that the loop sticks out enough from one end of the bead.
Step 4 – Thread your beard through the bead
Grab the tied-off bit of your beard, and then thread it through the string loop. After that, pull the other end of the string. It will pull the beard through the beard and out of the other side.
Step 5 – Position the bead
Now that the beard is through the beard, you can pull on it to position it where you like. You can place the bead almost at the ends of the beard. Just make sure that you leave enough of your beard to hold the bead in place.
How to Braid Your Beard
You should wash using effective facial hair shampoo and dry your beard before you braid it. This will make it easier to work with.
Step 1 – Brush your beard until you get rid of the tangles
Ensure that every strand is somewhat smooth. A good quality argan oil will eliminate most of your beard problems like dryness and brittleness, so use a bit of it before braiding.
Step 2 – Separate your beard
Along your chin, divide the beard into three sections. Hold the right and left sections in your respective hands and let the middle section dropdown.
Step 3 – Start braiding
Start braiding by pulling the right section over the middle (making it the new middle section) and then grab the middle section with your right hand (this is now the new right section).
Step 4 – Pull the left section over the middle
This can turn it into the new middle section. After that, grab the middle section with your left hand, making it the new left section.
Step 5 – Repeat, repeat, repeat
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you reach the part where the beard is already too thin to go any further. At this point, terminate the beard by wrapping a hair tie around the end. Thread it through a beard bead to hold it securely and give your braid more character.
Does More Spending Mean More Quality
Like many other products, you need to spend a bit more money, especially if you want to take hold of more quality beard beads. Some of the best commercially available beads are hand-crafted by skilled artisans. It is the reason why they come with a premium price tag. Moreover, the best beard beads are made using metal, which is more expensive than plastics. They are also harder to work with.
Do’s and Don’ts
Good quality beard beads are built to last, so you do not need to maintain them often. However, there are things to keep in mind about them to ensure that you maximize their potential.
- Use the best beard grooming kit before braiding and wearing beard beads. Note that you have to take care of your facial hair before styling them using beard beads. It can make each hair strand strong, preventing you from accidentally pull them out or breaking them while styling.
- Trim your beard regularly. You can choose to use between a cord and cordless beard trimmer to prevent split ends from happening. It also helps maintain the shape of your beard properly.
- Use a high-quality razor. If you were shaving the edges of your beard, it would be best to use a razor that won’t cause irritation to sensitive skin.
- Don’t wear your beard beads too tight along the base of the beard. You might pull out the beard hairs if you wear your beads too tightly. It may also cause the skin underneath to get inflamed and itchy. If this happens, you can relieve beard itch with a moisturizer. You should also regularly use a facial mask for softer skin to not get easily irritated.
How do beard beads stay in?
The beads have quite narrow openings so that when you thread your beard through them, just the friction between the hairs and the inside of the beads alone is enough to keep it in place. However, if you want to give it a more secure hold, you have to wrap silicone hair ties in the area where you will be placing the bead.
Who can wear beard beads?
Obviously, people who have full and long facial hair are the ones who can technically wear beard beads. Also, you do not necessarily need to be of Scandinavian descent. Anyone who wants to wear beard beads is welcome to do so. You do not need to worry about cultural appropriation.
How long does your beard need to be to put beads in it?
Ideally, your beard needs to be at least 3 to 4 inches long to make wearing beard beads feasible. It is also the right time for your beard to look good with beads on. If you want to wear beard beads one day, stop trimming your facial hair and allow it to grow for a couple of months.
Did Vikings decorate their beards?
With all things people know of the Vikings, it is possible that they did adorn their beards with different ornaments. Viking burial sites have suggested that they wore small rings woven into their beards. It is “suggested” because burial sites often have large jewelry stashes, so it is difficult to place where each piece goes.
One does not need to be a Viking to wear beard beads. If your beard is long enough and you take good care of it, then you can wear these neat little facial hair decorations without any problem. It is even ideal for you if you want to show off your warrior spirit.