How to get that “just got out of the shower” look that helps you look so fresh and sexy? Every guy wants to look as attractive as possible. At the same time, they want to feel fresh and relaxed all the time.
But, this feeling and look are not easy to achieve, at least not with any haircut. Except for one – The wet hair look!
The wet hair look is not something that stems from the 90s. It is a versatile look that can be used for various occasions. Just look at Ryan Reynolds and how he carries himself with the same type of hair.
If you want to achieve a surfer hairstyle and a wet hair look, what you can do is read our article and follow our advice. We have prepared a lot of ways for you to change your style and be as cool, sexy, and fresh as a celebrity.
Table Of Contents
What Is It
The wet hair look is precisely what it sounds like. It enables you to preserve a damp hairstyle or something like you just got out of the shower all day long. It does involve heavy use of products as it is the only way to keep the hair looking like you just sprang out of the sea.
The look was initially made famous by female models and celebrities. If styled correctly, the wet hair look creates a shiny effect. Of course, people will be aware that your hairy isn’t wet. But you will look cool and feel fantastic with this one.
The most popular wet hair look is the slicked-back updo or something that Draco Malfoy wears if you are a Harry Potter fan. But to achieve this look, you must choose the ideal pomade for your hair as it is the only way it will sit still.
But there are a variety of wet hairstyles for men that are available. So it is worth checking out more examples before deciding on one.
10 Most Popular Hairstyles
The slicked back is a classic and an excellent rockabilly hairstyle. It is an upscale look and can make almost anybody look cool. What you need to create is a decent amount of hair gel or pomade, so you better start thinking pomade vs wax vs gel vs clay.
Put the product on your hair and use the comb to slick everything back. To finish things off, use some hairspray to make it stick and give it a shiny look. The slicked back is also very versatile, meaning that men with different hair types can create one.
The side part hairstyle screams sophistication. Putting your hair to one side will make it fuller, stronger, and healthier. It makes for a sleek look that can work on almost any occasion. Which side to part your hair on? It depends on which side looks better on you.
Comb the wet hair to the side you’ve decided and then blow dry it. Add some gel to your hair once it’s dry and apply some hairspray, so it does not fall apart on you.
This style requires a lot of product to get it right, so start thinking about the best hair creams for a perfect wet look. Blow-dry your bangs and let them hang in front of your face. Use a handful of gel to set it back or a bit to the side.
This hairstyle works best for men with wavy hair but can work on various hair types. It helps to frame a person’s face and makes for a very alluring look. It may be a bit edgy, but it is classic and perfect for multiple occasions.
Natural curls and wet hair go hand in hand together. It is a very sexy beach style that only men with curly hair can pull off. You need to add some sea salt spray and let the curls dry on their own.
Adding some hair gel will not hurt and make sure to blow-dry the hair afterward. However, this hairstyle is not a professional look. It is mostly meant for laid-back and casual situations.
The pompadour hairstyle is a legendary haircut that has endured the test of time more than most. It is a dependable style and one of the old-school haircuts that are still popular.
Even though it is pretty old, today, you will find some modern versions of the old-school style that is by far the most familiar one on the list.
One of the more popular modern versions is the wet hair one. It requires short hair on the side and long hair on top. Use a blow dryer to blow it upwards. Add some pomade to style it the way you wish and spritz some hairspray as the final touch.
A hard part is an excellent wet hair style for men but is exceptionally hard to create on your own. So you better get the help of a skilled and professional barber to do it for you.
At the same time, having the correct type of product is imperative, as the wrong one will not make it stick for long. We recommend using premium hair clays as a quality product that will allow your haircut to last longer.
A comb-over is excellent for a wet hair look and is an ancient hairstyle. But seeing it used today as much as it only means that it has stood the test of time much more than some other haircuts. It is still viewed as a contemporary style and one that frames any face type perfectly.
To create a wet hair comb-over look, use gel and a brush to comb the hair to the side. Once you set it the way you like, get some hairspray and let it stand.
A military haircut emphasizes boldness and discipline. You might have seen it on military personnel only in the past, but now many regular people rock the military look and its wide varieties.
Its popularity is because it has a neat and low-maintenance look that will make you feel masculine and confident. To get the military look, ensure your hair is a bit damp first.
Put some gel on your fingertips and spread it all over your hair. To get a really good hold, some hairspray will do the trick.
The quiff is one of the most versatile and stylish styles among all wet hair looks. It can be worn by different age groups and is suitable for all events. A quiff resembles pompadour since it is a style that is brushed up and pushed back away from the face.
Take some gel or styling product and distribute it evenly throughout your hair. Make sure to brush it on the side that looks good on you. Once you set everything straight, get some hairspray for it to settle.
Longer and Messy
Wet hairstyles are all about being long and messy. The idea behind it is that it should look laid back and effortless. This one comes with almost endless possibilities and is a very suitable alternative to some very conventional styles.
Those who have naturally wavy hair can only apply some sea salt spray to help define the curls even better. Those with straight hair can still make them curly with a hair curler. Add some gel through different parts of your hair and you will get that surfer look in no time.
How to Get
Men don’t have to go that far to get a perfect wet hair look. Creating this style can be made easy. The only thing you need to do is the following.
- Wash your hair and use the world’s best conditioners for men to prepare it.
- Dry your hair but not all the way; it must be damp.
- Put some hair gel or hair mousse all over your fingers.
- Work the product through your hair and into your locks and curls. Make sure to move from mid-shaft towards the tip.
- Grab a hairspray bottle and spray it on different parts of your hair.
Since the wet hair look relies heavily on product use, different ones can be applied. But not all of them are suitable for making your hair look wet. Although applying hair tonic for volume and natural shine is a good idea.
There are a few of them that we want to emphasize and suggest to you.
- Styling mousse: It works best for dudes with thinner hair as it adds volume. However, it has less holding power than other products.
- Styling gel: Hair gel is a water-based hair product, making it perfect for creating a wet hair look. It comes in various strength holds, so you need to choose one based on your hair type. It can also make the hair look product-hardened a bit.
- Pomade: Pomades are a prime choice when slicking thick hair and don’t harden so much. Even though they are primarily oil-based, there are some water-based ones. But you better not use too much of it as it can make the hair too greasy.
- Wax: This would be an excellent choice for shorter hair. It does not come with the same shine as pomades but is much easier to wash out than a pomade.
- Hairspray: After setting your hair how you want it to stand, hairspray is the best way to finish things off. It will ensure the longevity of your style and make it stay firm for longer.
- A quality comb: To create the look that you are aiming at, a quality comb is needed. Most of these styles require you to comb the hair into a certain direction or shape firmly and you can’t do that without a quality comb.
Quick Styling Tips
To get the perfect wet hair look, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Here are some professional tips we could deduce when researching this topic.
- Styling mousse works exceptionally better for wet curly hair than gel does.
- Never apply hairspray first and then styling gel or mouse.
- Don’t dry the hair too much; it needs to be damp for you to apply the product.
- You don’t need so much gel to style this hairdo. A few squeezes are more than enough.
- Anti-dandruff shampoos make all the difference for better-looking hair.
- You need to have at least medium-length hair for the best-wet hair look.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Find an appropriate product that suits your hair type.
- Only apply the product to damp hair.
- Make it stay fixed with the help of hairspray.
- Let your hair grow to at least medium length for the best results.
- Use too much hair mousse or hair gel.
- Dry your hair out completely before adding a product to your hair.
Does excessive use of hair gel have side effects?
Yes, too much use of hair gel can have side effects, including a dry scalp, potential itchiness, and dandruff.
How to keep the wet look the whole day?
It can be done with the right product, gel, or mouse. But to allow it to stay the same throughout the day, it works best when some hairspray is added at the end.
Can coconut oil be used for a wet hair look?
Yes, it can. Coconut oil has a positive effect on hair and hair growth. Adding some will give your wet hair that extra shine it needs.
Can wet hair look be achieved with mousse alone?
Yes, it can. Depending on the style you want to create and your hair type, it can be achieved with mousse alone.
What is the best hair gel for when styling?
Many good hair gel types can be pretty suitable for styling your hair. You can find some of them on this very page.
Wet hair may have started as a woman’s trend, but it looks better on men. It is a style that may have some retro elements combined with some surfer hair styling, but it is a perfect choice for almost any occasion.
Also, it is easy to create and can be worn by men of all age groups. You can even turn back the clock with this one, as it will make you look younger—all in all, a style for the ages and a choice for any occasion.