Table Of Contents
- Should Men Shave Their Armpits
- Benefits of Shaving
- Pros and Cons
- How to Do It
- Shaving vs Trimming Men’s Armpits
- Quick Tips
Let’s face it, armpit hair is NOT sexy.
A lot of men shave it off not just for aesthetic reasons, but for sanitary reasons as well.
But, is it really good to do it?
Should men shave their armpits in the first place?
There is a lot that goes into making this choice.
If you decide to do it, you need to shave the armpits in a proper way.
Getting the right tools and technique are just some of the pieces of the puzzle that you need to figure out.
Unfortunately, a lot of men can’t figure out the formula and end up not shaving the armpit area well, getting irritations, or cuts.
In order to avoid all those problems, you need to take certain steps.
We have here the perfect advice you need to shave your armpits the right way.
If you decide to follow the steps, you will probably get the best armpit shave of your life.
Let’s begin, shall we?
Should Men Shave Their Armpits
About a decade ago, asking if men should shave their armpits would have been met with a series of other questions like- why should men shave their armpits? Isn’t that a women’s thing?
However, now, as it turns out, many benefits are attached to having a cleaner and smoother armpit. Whether you want a fresh post-gym smell or just a simple hairless look, shaving your underarm can be a complete game-changer.
So which group do you belong to? Should men shave their armpits or leave it natural? Before you decide, let’s discuss the benefits of shaving the underarm.
Benefits of Shaving
Less Noticeable Sweating
Shaving the armpits can result in less sweating because hair retains moisture. This means that sweat rings on your shirt sleeves and underarm will be reduced.
Since sweating is reduced, shaving also cuts down the odor of excess sweat. Even though underarm hair doesn’t stink, it can create a perfect environment for bacteria that causes the odor to breed and multiply. By getting rid of your underarm hair, you can cut down the number of these bacteria and smell better.
Several sports stars rock the hairless look like Christopher Ronaldo and Michael Phelps. This is because the hairy armpit causes discomfort in heat rash, which can affect their athletic performance.
Pros and Cons
- Clean underarms. Hair-free underarms are cleaner and smoother. You will also feel no itch which means you are more comfortable shaving your underarms. This is one of the reasons why most men shave their armpits. More so, you can wear sleeveless clothes and there will be no restriction to the type of clothes you wear.
- Reduced sweating. Many go for hairless underarms because it reduces sweating. This is because hair holds on to moisture. This is why you will see that the hair retains the sweat once you sweat, which leads to stained clothes at the underarm parts.
- Reduced odor. As we have earlier mentioned, hair holds moisture, which can lead to a bad smell.
- Skin irritation. This is one of the adverse effects of underarm shaving. It can take a while as it does not go in an instant.
- Razor burn. Even though this is not directly due to shaving, it often occurs during the process. The cause can be likened to the type of razor you shave. It also happens when you shave too quickly and you end up cutting yourself when you do.
- Ingrown hair. Sometimes, after shaving your armpit, hair may grow inwards. This can be quite painful and may as well lead to inflammation. This can lead to consistent itching, which may make you uncomfortable anywhere you go.
- Darkening of skin. People who have sensitive skins may have ‘darkening of the skin’ due to the razor blades. You may then resort to skin lightening creams to revert the skin to normal.
How to Do It
Step 1 – Trim first
If this is your first time shaving, the chances are that you would need to trim the hair down for the most effortless shave. Aside from being comfortable, it’ll also make a lesser mess in the shower as you wouldn’t want a clogged drain full of hair.
Step 2 – Prepare the skin
Step 3 – Use a straight razor
Avoid using a multi-blade razor on your underarm. To reduce the risk of getting a razor burn. A comfortable and painless shave is guaranteed when you opt for the world’s best straight razor.
Step 4 – Use shave cream
Apply quality shave cream to your armpits to ensure a smooth razor glide.
Step 5 – Start shaving
Be sure to shave from all sides as armpit hair grows in different directions.
Step 6 – Moisturize
Once you are done shaving, nourish your skin with an aftershave balm to prevent irritation and redness. Ready to go out? Smell fresh with body spray.
Shaving vs Trimming Men’s Armpits
How you decide to groom is very important. While some men turn to the salons for a professional touch, others may prefer doing it at home. These two ways may not be the best way to groom, here’s why you should consider trimming instead of shaving.
The surface of the armpit is not smooth and it may be very tricky to maneuver the sharp razor into an uneven skin. This may give you a cut or two. Also, the hair on the armpit is very sensitive, making you a bloody mess. Due to this, it is safer to go for a trim.
The hair seems to get coarser and thicker when you shave because it has been cut close to the skin surface. This results in an itchy, prickly feeling that may not quickly disappear. The case is not as terrible as this when you trim.
Shaving is one of the easiest ways of removing body hair, but it has to be done often. This is because you only shave the hair from the body’s surface and not at the root. Also, put in mind that shaving makes hair grow faster.
If you want a more permanent and less-time consuming option, consider the following alternatives:
- Laser hair removal.
- Depilatory creams.
Consider the following tips to ensure a smoother and hassle-free shaving experience:
- Opt for a razor with a flexible razor head and sharp blade. You can also get a premium shaving kit for men.
- Trim your hair first before using the razor.
- Avoid a dull blade as it can lead to ingrown hair or razor burns.
- Do not shave dry. It irritates.
- Always change your razor blades to ensure a closer shave.
Is it more hygienic to shave?
Hair retains moisture from sweats which can result in bacteria. These bacteria can generate odor. Shaving the armpits leads to fewer bacteria development.
How often should men shave their armpits?
You can skip a day or two between shaving periods. A study shows that 68 percent of men shave weekly.
How long should men’s armpit hair be?
Most underarm hair grows to three inches long, so about an inch and a half should be okay.
Does shaving a man’s armpit hair improve his smell?
Body odor is directly caused by underarm sweat as a result of bacteria. When the underarm hair is removed, the trapped odor is reduced.
Is it bad to shave armpits?
Shaving any part of the body like the arms and armpits can lead to razor burn, ingrown hairs and skin irritation. However, lubrication and
Why do guys not shave their armpits?
The surface of your armpit is loose, wrinkly skin which is not conducive for shaving. Those who shave regularly are likely to have bumps which increase the risk of getting a cut or two.
Is it healthy to shave your armpits?
Some men prefer the hair-free chest, arms and underarms and others discover that hairless arms and underarms prevent body odor.
Back to our question, should guys shave their armpits? It’s up to you. There’s no harm in shaving your armpit.
You can decide to shave your chest as well. Just ensure to use the right grooming products to get the job done.