You can either love or hate Mel Gibson.
We all admire him for his roles in the early stages of his career and older generations remember him for his Mad Max role.
A lot of the younger audience only knows him for the shenanigans he pulled in the latter stages of his life.
This happened around the same time when Gibson decided to grow a really bushy beard.
Now, love him or hate him, you have to admit the beard actually looks good on him.
In fact, it is not easy to style the type of facial hair he has if you don’t have professional help.
You can easily make mistakes and end up with messy mess instead of a bushy, handsome mane.
To avoid costly mistakes and do everything right, read our article and find out how to get a really good Mel Gibson beard.
Table Of Contents
- Mel Gibson’s Style
- How to Grow a Mel Gibson Beard
- How to Start Growing Your Beard
- Grooming and Styling Tips
- The Basic Tools Needed to Maintain Your Beard
Mel Gibson’s Style
Gibson is no stranger to high end events, award ceremonies and parties. No matter what event he goes to, his personal style attributes to his sophisticated and chiseled appearance.
His nice suits and attractive casual attire aren’t the only things he rocks though – for years, he also sported an impressive beard.
Mel Gibson was once one of the most famous bearded men of all time, but since his signature facial hair was shaved he will have to settle for being simply one of the most famous filmmakers of all time.
His big beard was bushy and impressive, and he even made the occasional joke at its expense about how much food he gets stuck in it.
Mel’s impressive lumberjack-like beard met its end during his guest appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Will we ever see it return to its former glory? Only time will tell.
For now, let’s just focus on remembering it as it was: thick, luxurious, and perfectly rugged. It was the epitome of amazing beards for many, but fortunately it doesn’t have to be gone forever.
If you want to rock this popular beard style look yourself, you just need to start with growing a beard.
How to Grow a Mel Gibson Beard
The main factor of one’s ability to grow a beard is that it is mostly reliant on genetics. There are still measures you can take towards growing your own stylish beard, as well as tips and tricks to avoid patchiness and increase the overall fullness of your facial hair.
If you are starting with a blank canvas (little to no facial hair), be sure to start the process with proper skin care.
Another trick is to take dietary supplements like biotin to promote hair growth. Consuming certain necessary nutrients from fruits, vegetables, and protein prove helpful as well.
How to Start Growing Your Beard
1. Start with your skin cleansing routine
- Don’t skimp on exfoliating your skin, and find a weekly exfoliation routine that works best for you to help stimulate new hair growth.
- To encourage a fuller beard, make sure to keep your skin clean by washing it with warm water when you wake up and before you go to bed.
2. Moisturize your skin
- This will reduce chance of ingrown hairs (which cause beards to grow in unevenly). This will help you get rid of a patchy beard.
3. Promote your hair’s healthy growth by healthy living
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Manage your stress by exercising. Exercise might even help your beard grow in faster thanks to the improved blood circulation.
4. Once your beard starts coming in, do not touch it!
- Leave it alone. Don’t even trim it yet – resist the urge! You can trim and groom your beard when it is in full bloom – this is the key for how to grow a thicker beard.
Grooming and Styling Tips
The Basic Tools Needed to Maintain Your Beard
Look for any one of the top grooming kits available that contain these items:
- Comb or brush for detangling your facial hair.
- Nice clippers.
- In order to safely trim your beard.
- For doing the finer details around your face.
- Beard oil or moisturizer.
After you’ve got the basic tools, you just need to follow some simple steps to trim and then dye your beard, and then before you know it you will have an identical beard to Mel Gibson!
Here are the steps to take when trimming your facial hair:
- Comb your beard thoroughly in one direction.
- Break out your new beard trimmer to get a nice, even cut.
- Be sure to fade out your hair around your neck and cheeks.
- Tread carefully when trimming your mustache.
- Grab your scissors for any detailing you might want.
- Finally, top off your new cut with some beard oil to prevent itching or dryness.
The final touch will be going over how to dye your beard.
First, just wash and comb out your facial hair. Next you can apply the coloring to the desired areas of your beard, and just leave that color in for the day.
In the evening, you can wash it out and get ready to reapply the color in the morning.
Be sure to follow any instructions your dye comes with, and feel free to consult a salon.
Vinnie is one of the members of the Beardoholic writers team. He’s also a barber and hairstylist for 15 years now and he has a kick-ass beard of his own, so he surely knows what makes a magnificent beard and hair and how to achieve them. He’s our go-to guy for all the latest beard and hairstyle trends and he always has a tip or two on how to grow and style a thick beard fast.