The chili bowl haircut was a hairstyle that was quite popular in the 60s and 90s, primarily for kids. This hairstyle got its name because parents would cut their kids’ hair by placing a bowl on their heads and then cutting any hair that sticks out the bottom.
The chili bowl haircut and other 90’s hairstyles have come back in style. This time, though, adults are unironically getting this style of hair. What once was a surefire sign that your family has fallen on hard times is now a trendy hairstyle.
The chili bowl hairstyle is among the haircuts that are ideal for men with straight hair. This type of hair texture gives this haircut its signature shape.
Table Of Contents
17 Most Popular Chili Bowl Hairstyles
This style is your traditional bowl cut, though. It is traditionally done by placing a bowl over the head and cutting any hair that sticks out. Nowadays, hair stylists know how to make this cut look more professional and cleaner. Runway models like this haircut because of how basic it looks and how easy it is to style.
You can also go for the chili bowl undercut. The nice thing about this cut is that it retains the basic bowl shape. What makes it different are the faded sides designed to give them a softer look.
This variation looks similar to the undercut, but the sides are slightly higher. You will also notice a more pronounced fade. Of course, you will need the world’s best clippers for fades to achieve this look.
This is your basic bowl cut. Note, though, that you can make this even more stylish by bleaching the hair silver or platinum blonde.
This retains the basic shape of the bowl cut. However, this cut features tapered sides that give it a more fashionable and not-so-unusual look.
This bowl cut has a softer look, thanks to the fringe bangs. Instead of the sharp edges that bowl cuts are known for, the weight of the fringes of the bangs is reduced. This gives this classic haircut a modern twist.
Spiky hair can work with almost all kinds of haircuts, including the classic bowl cut. It is ideal for the younger crowd as this is a trendy hairstyle. Use a premium hair gel to make your hair easier to style this way.
This extreme hairstyle is ideal for those who are courageous enough to be at the forefront. This is a bowl cut where the top layer of the fringes is longer than the bottom, giving the illusion that the hair looks like a cap.
This specific variation of the chili bowl cut has shorter hair at the back and gradually lengthens to the front. The “bowl” is kept relatively thick. The sides are undercut, giving them sharp edges. You can consult a guide to short sides long top haircuts to figure out if this is right for you.
This is the type of bowl cut you would usually see worn by kids in the late 80s and 90s. The hair on top is kept thick while the sides are slightly tapered. It also takes minimal to no weight off the top.
This style is ideal for those who do not like the idea of completely shaving the sides of their heads. It is a bowl cut, but you will still have sideburns. Also, the bangs have a bit of weight removed to give them a softer look.
This chili bowl cut looks like it came straight out of a cartoon. The edges are highly straight and every strand of hair is adequately placed. To achieve this look, you need to have your hair straightened.
Bleach it platinum blonde and cut the sides with laser-like precision. You also have to use many hair products to prevent your hair from straying.
As the name suggests, this is a bowl haircut where everything that “the bowl” does not cover is removed. You can opt for this style if you prefer something unique.
Short Messy Bowl
Unlike the traditional chili bowl cut, where the hair falls to the sides evenly, this one has more texture at the top. Another feature of this haircut is that the bangs are longer than the sides. There are even times when they cover your eyes a bit.
Adding a couple of uneven locks in your bowl cut blurs the line between the traditional and modern chili bowl cuts. Typically, you need to leave the bangs much longer than the rest.
This is such a ridiculous-looking hairstyle that you will need a lot of confidence and daring to pull it off. It has the undercut sides of the traditional bowl cut, but you have to leave an inch above the sides of the hair “messy” and somewhat uneven.
This is a sort of high-fashion hairstyle. This chili bowl cut requires cutting the top in uneven layers, often falling to one side of the head.
Pros and Cons
- Bowl haircuts are easy to do. There are a reason parents from the 70s to 90s would use this haircut for their kids – that is that it is easy. If you have a large enough bowl, you can do it yourself, but it is best to have someone help you.
- It’s stylish nowadays. Gone are the days when the bowl cut is considered unfashionable. Fashion and style are cyclical. What once was out of style goes back in style after a couple of decades. The bowl cut is at the forefront of fashion right now.
- Chili bowl cuts are easy to style. You do not necessarily need to style your bowl cut a certain way. Your hair does not necessarily need to fall down the sides of your head. You can leave it “messy,” slicked back, and others. While you are at it, you should get beard products to complete your facial hair care.
- Requires the right face shape. Not all face shapes can work with the chili bowl cut. A good haircut should be able to frame your face correctly. For instance, a bowl cut may not be the most flattering for you if you have a round face.
- Quite hard to maintain. If you are thinking of getting the sharp-edged chili bowl cut, keeping the edges sharp is quite tricky. You should visit your hairdresser every week to get a trim, which can get quite expensive.
Quick Maintenance Tips
Pick the right hair styling products – If you want to keep your chili bowl cut laying flat, use hair serum. This hair product can help keep your hair in place, but unlike hair gel, your hair can still move.
If you were going to bleach your hair, do so before you get your hair cut – This will help get the damaged split ends trimmed off and prevent the damage from getting worse.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Style your hair however you want. Your hair does not need to constantly lie flat on your head. Style your bowl cut in whatever way you like. For instance, a hairspray is great for adding volume, so your hair will not look too flat.
- Color your hair. The chili bowl cut is a style that is punk and extreme. Changing your hair color will work quite well with a bowl cut, especially those with sharp fringes and shaved sides. Consider coloring your hair if you’re already leaping with a bowl cut. However, do your homework on hair dyes and how to use them.
- Don’t try it if you have coarse hair. Trying a bowl cut with coarse hair will not look good, regardless of your face shape. For one thing, your hair will not be able to retain the bowl shape quite as straight hair would.
- Don’t wear your hair too flat. You should use a volumizing hair mousse to give your hair more body, so it won’t look like your hair is painted on your scalp.
How can I make my bowl cut look good?
A bowl cut may look too much for most folks, but it can look good when well-maintained and styled appropriately. You should use hair oil for healthy hair, which can help make it a lot easier to manage.
How can I choose the most suitable chili bowl cut?
You will need to consider the texture of your hair and the shape of your face. If you have curly hair, although there are variants of the bowl cut that you can try, there is no assurance that it will look good on you.
Can you cut a chili bowl cut using a bowl?
As long as the bowl is large enough to cover your head, then the answer is yes. You can use it to give yourself a haircut.
What is the best chili bowl haircut?
There is no one “best” chili bowl haircut. The reason is that the best one differs from one person to another. In most cases, it will depend on your facial features and hair texture.
Hairstyles, just like fashion trends, seem to come back into style once enough time has passed. This is the case with the chili bowl haircut and other short haircuts you might like. This style was quite popular from the 70s to 90s and has returned.
What is different with the modern chili bowl cut is that it no longer holds the more profound meaning that those who have this cannot afford a barber to cut their hair. However, the chili bowl cut is not for the faint of heart. If you are an adventurous person willing to take risks, the chili bowl cut haircut is for you.