Growing a beard is fascinating because it takes you down a discovery journey while pushing you to achieve the best beard look possible. When you embark on a beard growth and maintenance journey, beard butter and beard balm are two of the products you will come across.
There has been a great debate over which of the two products are great for your beard. Here, we hold the beard butter vs beard balm contest.
- What Is a Beard Balm
- Benefits of Using a Beard Balm
- How Does a Beard Balm Work
- Pros and Cons of Beard Balms
- How to Use Beard Balm
- What Is Beard Butter
- Benefits of Using Beard Butter
- How Does Beard Butter Work
- Pros and Cons of a Beard Butter
- How to Use a Beard Butter
- Beard Balm vs Beard Butter Comparison
- Does More Spending Mean More Quality
- Dos and Don’ts With Beard Butter and Beard Balm
- FAQ About Beard Butter vs Beard Balm
What Is a Beard Balm
A beard balm is a commonly used beard care product with beeswax, shea butter, essential oils, and carrier oils.
A well-maintained beard is attractive. A beard balm will condition your beard and keep it healthy while also giving it the hold it needs for you to shape it as you desire. The beeswax in a beard balm will help you style your beard and help you retain moisture in it.
Benefits of Using a Beard Balm
Prevents Beard Dandruff
A beard balm helps to prevent dandruff in your beard. The beeswax in a beard balm helps your beard retain moisture and reduce flaking of the skin. Skin flakes are usually the biggest source of dandruff on your beard.
A good beard balm will help you avoid an itchy beard, especially during the first 2-4 weeks of growing a beard. The beeswax is again at play as it helps to seal in both beard oil and natural oils in your beard and reduce the itchiness caused by budding beard hairs and dryness. The beard wax gives you ultimate control over your beard, allowing you to style and shape it as you wish.
Protection Against the Elements
A beard balm will also help to protect your beard from the elements such as harsh weather and sunshine. The carrier oils in a balm will help keep your skin nourished, while the beeswax will help create a thin protective layer for your beard. A beard balm can make your hair look full when it holds your beard together.
How Does a Beard Balm Work
A beard balm works by giving a protective layer to your beard while also locking in the moisture to keep your beard and the skin underneath hydrated. The ingredients in a good beard balm will complement each other and protect your beard from elements while also keeping it healthy and well-groomed.
A beard balm will also help you style your beard and hold the style in place for the rest of the day. You can achieve painless detangling by using a beard relaxer. Get one of the world’s best aftershave balm to use on your beard.
Pros and Cons of Beard Balms
- A good beard balm will keep your beard looking healthy by reducing dandruff, dead ends, and split ends through its natural ingredients.
- A beard balm will help you style your beard with beeswax, which is an ingredient. Beeswax will help lay down unruly beard hair and help your brush or comb glide through your beard hair. You will be assured of a painless beard hair growth journey.
- A beard balm will help you get a smooth and conditioned beard, easy and painless to maintain.
- Beard balms are only right for long beards because of the beeswax, making the beard according to style.
- You need to be careful when using a beard balm because too much of it may not be absorbed by your beard. You might end up having the flakes you were avoiding in the first place.
How to Use Beard Balm
A beard balm is a solution to all your beard needs. You could use a homemade beard balm or buy one from the market. If you are struggling with a dry, brittle, and thin beard, then you need to scout the market for a good beard balm. Here is how to use your beard balm.
Step 1 – Wash your beard
Use quality beard soap or shampoo to clean your beard to remove any dirt or particles in it. You never know what could be hidden in your beard!
Step 2 – Dry your beard
You do not apply beard balm to a wet beard. Wait for your beard to dry and then start applying the balm.
Step 3 – Apply the beard balm
Scoop some beard balm from the container and rub it in between your palms. Run your fingers from the neck to the chin, making sure that the skin gets some of that balm.
Repeat the same process, now starting from the chin down to your neck. Run your fingers through your cheeks if you have a beard there. Now, use a beard comb or brush to style your beard.
Repeat this process daily for the best results.
What Is Beard Butter
Beard butter is a combination of beard oil and balm, which will help you achieve the results you want with your beard. Beard butter will give your beard a smoother feel and help seal moisture in your beard while keeping it healthy and well-groomed. It can also give your beard a great scent if you choose butter with a great essential oil as a component.
Beard butter has all the essential ingredients of beard oil, wax, and balm, making it one of the best products to have.
Benefits of Using Beard Butter
Beard butter is a combination of both beard balm and beard oil. This means that you might not need to buy another oil and balm to tend to your beard. The beard growth oil helps improve your beard’s growth, while the balm helps you shape your beard. This is a money-saving product, and it reduces your hassle of looking for a balm and oil that work well together.
Locks in Moisture
Beard butter also helps you seal in moisture in your beard while treating your skin to reduce the chances of flaking and forming dandruff. It works for both the facial hair and the skin underneath, giving you a great experience all day long.
How Does Beard Butter Work
A beard butter works to keep your beard healthy and well-groomed by treating both the hair and the skin underneath. Beard butter usually consists of essential oils which give your beard a great scent and has carrier oils that help in beard growth.
Beard butter also has beeswax as an ingredient that helps you style your beard and hold it all day long. If you get yourself a good beard butter, you might as well say goodbye to bad beard days.
Pros and Cons of a Beard Butter
- Beard butter will keep your beard well-conditioned and moisturized, making it easier to handle and painless to brush.
- Beard butter carries both the qualities of beard oil and beard balm, making it a one-stop-shop for all your beard needs.
- A good beard bitter will enhance the growth of your beard and keep it well-groomed.
- Beard butter is solid and might be hard to get absorbed into your beard and skin. You may need to rub it thoroughly so that it gets assimilated into your beard.
- You need to be sure that the beard butter you use on your beard is of high quality. If not, you may end up with unmelted flakes on your beard, which can be very unsightly.
How to Use a Beard Butter
Step 1 – Clean your beard
Make sure that your beard is clean and dry before you apply your butter. If you apply beard butter on a wet beard, you are less likely to get it seeped in.
Step 2 – Rub it on your palms
Scoop a sufficient amount of the butter with your finger and rub it on your palms. Apply it evenly on your beard, starting with the chin area and then the cheek area.
Step 3 – Comb and style your beard
Comb or brush your beard to your desired style and rock your beard all day long. You can trim and shape your beard with premium hair-cutting shears and remember, a tapered beard goes with any face shape.
Beard Balm vs Beard Butter Comparison
Both beard balms and butter are excellent products to tend to your beard. The best product depends on the type of your beard and its length.
If your beard is smaller and younger, you will find beard butter as the most appropriate product. However, if your beard is older and longer, then beard balm would be the most appropriate product.
The beard balm vs beard butter debate will go on as long as people continue to grow beards. Get the product that works best for you.
Does More Spending Mean More Quality
The price of a product does not always measure its quality. Read the ingredients of a product and what it will do to decide whether it is worth the price tag.
Dos and Don’ts With Beard Butter and Beard Balm
- Do buy the most appropriate product for your beard.
- Do your research on what each product offers you.
- Do clean your beard before applying butter or balm.
- Don’t apply either butter or balm on a wet beard.
FAQ About Beard Butter vs Beard Balm
Can you use beard butter and beard balm together?
No. Use only one of the products at a time, depending on your beard’s needs.
Should I use beard balm every day?
If you wash your beard every day, then yes, you can use a beard balm every day.
Should I use beard butter at night?
No. The best time to use beard butter is during the day when your beard is most exposed.
Do you leave beard butter in?
Beard butter also serves as a leave-in conditioner for your beard. However, it is advisable to clean it off before you sleep to allow your skin pores to exfoliate.
When should you start using beard balm?
Start using beard balm when your beard is longer and you need help shaping it and holding it in position.
The beard butter vs beard balm debate has been on for many decades and will continue for as long as the two products remain in the market. The products have unique benefits for your beard and you cannot pick one over the other. Understand the needs of your beard before you pick any of the two products.
Photos from: indrepau / depositphotos.com,