If you are looking for a disposable razor with quality blades, Personna is a brand you must look into. The company has been around since 1875 and created these safety razors to help men shave better.
The blades are made such that wet shaving, which requires more skill, can be done easily with excellent results. Since the brand was established, they have made medical and industrial blades too, which tells us something about their level of expertise.
Table Of Contents
What Are Personna Razor Blades
Personna makes razor blades in stainless steel, platinum chrome and comfort coating. Each of these blades is known for being the premium safety razor blades in the industry and outside.
But they are also particularly famous for their sharpness. Whether you are looking for highly recommended single-blade razors or double-edged razor blades, Personna has got you covered.
Benefits of Using Personna
Personna’s razor blades have four qualities that separate them from the other brands in the market.
- They make way for wet shaving, preferred by those who want a close shave but avoid skin irritations and tugging on the surface.
- They are also the best entry point for someone who has just decided to start using a double-edge razor.
- These blades have a sharp edge that glides smoothly over your skin.
- Personna blades are thicker than the competition and do not bend as much.
Pros and Cons
- Aggressive. These blades are made of stainless steel, making them aggressive enough for a shave. It also makes them a good choice for beginners and intermediate shavers.
- Coated. The blades have a coating of platinum and chrome which improves their performance and gives you a smoother shave.
- Well-packed. The blades are inside parchment paper like they used to be back in the day.
- Affordable. These blades are high-quality, but they are not expensive.
The one disadvantage is that they last only for about three to four shaves for a smooth beard and less than a rough one.
Types of Personna Razor Blades
These blades are made of Swedish stainless steel, a platinum and chrome coating. They will make your shave comfortable and provide longevity. They fit any standard double-edged razor well.
Here’s another blade for a double-edge razor. It is made of stainless steel with a platinum and chrome coating and is popular among wet shavers with regular and sensitive skin.
This one is one of the most known blades that sell like hot cakes among fans of wet shaving. They are a good mix of smooth and sharp.
This one is made with the highest possible quality of stainless steel. It is corrosion-resistant and extra sharp, perfect for a smooth shave.
How to Choose the Best One
These are some of the sharpest in the market, which means your wet shaving game must be good. Don’t go against the grain if you are a beginner.
This is not the strongest point for Personna blades because they will be pretty blunt by reaching your fifth or sixth shave.
This must be the best aspect because they are very affordable. But you don’t have to compromise on quality for that.
How to Use Them
Step 1 – Look at the direction in which your hair grows
You must shave in this direction and it is called “going with the grain.” This is important in sensitive places like the chin and neck.
Step 2 – Lather the shaving gel or soap
Apply it all over the skin so that the razor can move smoothly.
Step 3 – Avoid cuts
Make use of that by placing them at a 30-45 degree angle against the skin.
Step 4 – Short strokes are the way to go
Your stroke should not be longer than 3 cm, which is how you avoid cuts.
Step 5 – Don’t put too much pressure
Let the weight of the razor’s handle and gravity help you out.
Step 6 – Go with the grain
This reduces the chances of redness and rashes.
Step 7 – Rinse the razor often so that it doesn’t clog
You don’t have to do it as often with double-edge safety razors, which is a bonus.
Step 1 – Make sure your razor is dry when not in use
This can be difficult if your kit is out in the open in the bathroom, a notoriously humid place. So, keep it in an area with less moisture.
Step 2 – Make sure the lather is entirely off the blade
Do this before you start wiping it with a towel. This will avoid the build-up of minerals from the water.
Step 3 – Clean the head when it’s time to replace the blades
Save the kit from kids and pets by wrapping it in a towel or storing it in a leather pouch.
Does More Spending Mean More Quality
In terms of price, there isn’t a big difference among the Personna blades unless you are going for the medical prep type. But even in general, it is not the price that determines how good a blade is.
You want to make sure it is sharp enough for your shaving technique and level of expertise. You also want to make sure that they are made of materials that are easy to maintain, which is true for Personna blades.
And longevity is another consideration. Personna does not have the best record, but pricey blades don’t come with that guarantee either.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Prep your skin. It is time-consuming, but you will have soft, exfoliated skin before using the razor. Washing your face with hot water will open up the pores and avoid razor bumps and ingrown hairs. You might also consider using a beard comb for the hair to loosen up.
- Lather. You don’t have to go for the world’s best shaving cream, but you need something good that will provide a good deal of lather. Beard butter or good shaving cream will do the trick. This is a lubricant that allows your razor to glide.
- Find the angle. These razors work best when you place them at a 30-45 degree angle from the skin.
- Go with the grain. Since these are double-edge razor blades, you want to start shaving in the same direction as your hair. If you are shaving your beard, you might want to take a second run at it, which is when you can go against the grain. Just remember to re-lather.
- Small strokes. You get the best results with these razors if you are skillful. That means going slow and for short strokes. This will help you maintain the angle and keep your skin safe from cuts.
- No pressing and dragging. These razors have a heavy handle, so you don’t need to put too much pressure on the skin. Put just as much pressure as you would if you were doing a commercial and trying to show that this is easy (because it is!).
- No skipping the aftershave. You want to do this, especially when using Personna razor blades, not just because it’s one of the best practices. Your skin requires care in many ways and you can use this opportunity to do just that. Some creams have multiple purposes, which means the right product can also help with experiencing all beard softener benefits.
Are Personna blades any good?
They are undoubtedly sharp and provide an excellent close shave, a favorite among wet shavers.
Which Personna blade is best?
Lab Blue wins this contest because it is sharp and tends to last a little longer.
How long do Personna blades last?
You can count on each blade to last about three to four shaves. Perhaps a bit longer if you have smooth hair and don’t shave as often.
Where are Personna blades made?
These are known as Israeli blades, but they are manufactured in the US too.
That’s pretty much all there is to know about Personna blades. They’re veterans in this market and have the trust of thousands of customers. If you’re considering buying their blades, don’t think twice. One last thing, keep those knicks away, safe shaving!