Whether you tend to sweat or you get cold easily, an undershirt will give you the support you need while you are living life. But choosing the right type of undershirt can be tricky.
Which fit? Which brand? V-neck or crew neck?
The purpose of this buyers guide is to make your decision easy – keep reading to find out everything you’ve ever wanted to know about men’s undershirts (and more).
- What is an Undershirt for Men
- What Are the Benefits of Using It
- Types of Undershirts
- V-neck vs Crew Neck: The Age-Old Debate
- 11 Best Undershirts Reviewed
- How to Wash Your Undershirts
What is an Undershirt for Men
An undershirt is a lifesaving layer between your body and clothes, keeping you warm in offices with heavy A/C and the sweat off your back during the summer seasons.
Undershirts are a crucial part of any man’s wardrobe, the key to keeping your clothes in better condition for longer periods of time.
Of course, an extra layer might seem like a lot of extra work, but there are plenty of benefits to wearing an undershirt regularly.
What Are the Benefits of Using It
The biggest plus to wearing an undershirt is that it keeps sweat at bay. Suddenly there is a layer between your body’s sweaty sheen and the nice clothes you are wearing on that first date.
The undershirt is a simple way to impress the girl of your dreams, as well as using the right toothpaste against bad breath or giving her a thoughtful gift when picking her up.
For those living in places with colder climates, undershirts can help against those conditions too.
If you find yourself feeling chilly, an undershirt is a subtle way to keep yourself warm without having to put on a bulky coat or many extra layers.
An undershirt can also be a statement piece on its own if worn with the right pair of jeans and maybe a stylish hat or beanie.
These are simple shirts that still stand out, giving you easy to reach for outfits when you are in a rush or don’t want to think too much about your wardrobe.
Lastly, undershirts make great sleep and loungewear. Because they are so comfortable, a lot of guys simply wear them around the house.
Maybe you’re staying in on your day off, relaxing and kicking back to start the perfect game night, or you’re hanging out with your girl.
Either way, an undershirt gives you comfort and style in your home.
Types of Undershirts
Undershirts are as unique as men: they come in many shapes and sizes to fit every need.
Just as there are durable big-and-tall gaming chairs for big and tall men, there are undershirts to fit body type and preference.
Depending on what you want to use your undershirt for, there is a different type that will fit perfectly for you.
Of course, since there is a lot of variety in undershirts, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose.
To help cut down your research time, we’ve put together a list of the most popular types of undershirts and the pros and cons that come along with each.
The color of your undershirt is also extremely important. The most popular color is white since it goes with almost any outfit you could possibly dream up.
But it’s not the only color you can choose from. Other good choices are black and gray if you are wearing a darker button up or want to have more of a greaser style.
If you’re feeling fun, you can get undershirts in a variety of colors, from green to red. These could be unique pieces for when you want to step out of your comfort zone a little.
Since undershirts are still simple pieces overall, it won’t push you too far towards being uncomfortable, it’ll just add a little fun.
Remember, at the end of the day, this list is just a guide. It’s up to you to determine the perfect undershirt to meet your needs.
Now go forth brave undershirt explorer and find the best shirt for you!
Tank top undershirts were a staple of men’s fashion when they came out in the 1970s, since then they have died a bit in the fashion world. But they are still a great option for those interested.
Tank tops are good because they come in a variety of colors and designs, so you can stand out from the crowd in a simple tank top and shorts.
They are also good if the shirt you are wearing on top is a weird cut, another tank top, or you do not want to add many layers.
Of course, tank top undershirts aren’t the end all, be all of the undershirts. Let’s go over some pros and cons to help you determine whether the tank top undershirt is the right choice for you.
- They show off your arms – If you focus on arm day a lot at the gym, undershirt tank tops are a great way to show off your muscles without being too obvious about it.
- They do a great job of defining muscles in the chest and back area as well since they are so well fitting.
- They are inexpensive – White cotton tank top undershirts are extremely easy to find in most stores, and they come at a price that won’t empty your wallet.
- Easy to clean. Since the tank top has less fabric than other types of undershirts, they are very easy to clean. They typically can also be treated a little rougher than other undershirts, since they are designed with work in mind.
- Great even if you don’t sweat a lot – These are perfect for those who don’t really sweat during the summer. They will catch the important areas on your back and chest. Plus, they are not a heavy layer. They won’t cause you to sweat more.
- Great if you wear short-sleeved or low-necked summer shirts – The tank top will remain invisible under these shirts and still manage to keep the sweat from ruining your nice clothes.
- No underarm protection – If you sweat a lot, the tank top might not be the best option for you. Since they are in the style of the tank top, this means that there is no fabric between your armpits and the longer shirt sleeve. That can only result in sweat city, which you are trying to avoid by using an undershirt.
- Don’t help in the cold – Because they are tank tops, these won’t do much good to help protect you from the cold. They might provide a layer to protect your chest, but your arms are free game to be bitten by the chilly weather.
The long-sleeve undershirt is the exact opposite of tank top undershirts. Instead of providing less coverage, they provide more coverage than the average undershirt.
They have been around just as long as other types of undershirts, though they used to be called union suits (think full body under suits with flaps in the butt area).
Long-sleeve undershirts have been modernized to leave out the leg and feet. They have their own pluses and minuses, which we will go over.
- Perfect for the cold – If you are living in a cold place during the winter, a long-sleeved undershirt is the best option to keep you warm.
- They are usually built with a special fabric that helps you retain body heat. This makes them a good extra layer to have in the winter.
- Breathability – Though they tend to follow the crew neckline, most long-sleeved undershirts have buttons near the top. That way, if you enter a building and get overwhelmed by the heat, you can simply unbutton the collar and allow more air to flow.
- Sweat Protection – Because of their long sleeves, these undershirts are perfect for collecting sweat not only from your back and chest but also from the problem areas under your armpits.
- Wide Range of Colors – If you are looking for simple ways to bring uniqueness into your wardrobe, long-sleeved undershirts come in any color under the sun.
- Can’t be worn alone. Long-sleeved undershirts have a tendency to look too casual for most occasions.
- Because of this, if you choose to wear them alone, they will make you look a bit underdressed compared to other types of undershirts.
- Only for cold weather. If you wear a long-sleeved undershirt during the summer months, it might function in the opposite way it is meant to.
- The extra layer, for those who sweat easily, could cause more sweat to rise and seep through the shirt.
Athletic undershirts have gained massive popularity in recent years. They differ from other types of undershirts in that they are made from breathable synthetic fabrics.
This makes them lighter and dryer than cotton undershirts.
- Sweat-proof – These are the best shirts to protect against sweat since they are made specifically to keep you from looking sweaty during a workout.
- Lighter – These shirts are extremely comfortable and easy to wear because they are made of synthetic and microfiber materials.
- Variety – These shirts come in many colors and designs to bring uniqueness to your fashion.
- Not Dressy. Because they are made to work out in, it is challenging to wear them as true undershirts in high-class situations.
V-neck vs Crew Neck: The Age-Old Debate
The neckline of your undershirt really depends on a couple of factors.
Of course, what type of neckline goes with the outfit you are currently wearing or planning to wear is the most important.
If you are wearing a sweater, having a V-neck undershirt might be a little uncomfortable. But sometimes the V-neck works under a thicker V-neck shirt.
Of course, choosing which works best for you is also a matter of personal preference and taste.
Some people prefer V-necks because they work better for their body type, same with crew neck undershirts.
The Modern V-Neck
V-necks are a more modern take on the undershirt, rolling into popularity during the 1960s. If worn without a shirt on top, these V-necks are for those wanting to show off their body.
All that crunch time in the gym gives you a perfect excuse to show off with a stylish V-neck undershirt.
The collars of these shirts also help for those looking to make their face seem longer.
The V shape adds angles to your face, taking away from the round or square shapes from your jawline and neck. This look is extremely desirable for the ladies!
Of course, when wearing an open-collar over-shirt, the V-neck will help protect against sweat while remaining invisible to the outside world.
A V-neck undershirt can also make for great sleepwear, ranking up there among the best pajamas for men. Most are extremely comfortable and easy to slip in and out of.
A V-neck isn’t always the best solution, especially if the fabric is extremely thin. It might cling to your skin if worn without something over it.
While that might be an appropriate look for some occasions, make sure to keep that in mind when choosing the right undershirt.
The Classic Crew Neck
The crew neck is the classic undershirt, premiering in the 1950s after the war.
If you are looking for a slick look, reminiscent of vintage heartbreakers like Marlon Brando, a crew neck is your best bet.
When paired with well-fitting jeans, the crew neck can also be a great way to show off your body and style.
These are more likely to be worn without anything on top, which makes them good for those looking for simple stylish outfits. But don’t get a crew neck undershirt mixed up with a tee shirt.
The crew neck will most likely be made out of thinner material. It also might not be made to withstand outside weather since it is made to be worn under layers.
Crew necks do come in thinner or thicker varieties, depending on the purpose you want to use them for.
The only disadvantage of the crew neck is their high neckline. If you are planning on wearing a suit, a crew neck undershirt might not be the best option.
If you want to button your dress shirt all the way to the neckline, a crew neck is a decent option. In most cases, though, men prefer to keep the top buttons undone.
This unbuttoned look is stylish and modern, making you look unique compared to the men around you.
But crew neck undershirts are great if you are wearing sweaters or normal tee shirts.
They might seem older and less stylish, but don’t knock the crew neck undershirt.
It is a classic style that makes you look cool while subtly showing off the body you’ve been working so hard on.
11 Best Undershirts Reviewed
Men seeking for a soft and comfortable undershirt that stays tucked all day and is true to size will find Fruit of the Loom to be a great choice for them.
Made entirely of absorbent cotton and tag-free, this undershirt features a classic fit that allows a full range of movements.
For as long as you wear it, it’ll stay pretty smooth with the lay flat collar and sleeves that don’t budge.
When you wear it for the first time, it might feel oversized, but this is something you can quickly solve by washing the shirt in a washing machine.
This will shrink it a bit to the correct, expected fit. The material runs a bit on the thinner side, but this is precisely what helps it dry faster.
- Stays tucked all day
- 100% soft and comfortable cotton
- Soft, lay flat collar that doesn’t irritate
- Lay flat sleeves that don’t bulge under shirts
- Oversized, but shrinks to correct fit when first washed
- A bit thinner fabric
Featuring a popular V-neck and iconic manufacturer’s logo, Calvin Klein Undershirt is very soft, comfortable and can even be worn as a regular, everyday shirt.
Even though the material is more on the thinner side, it still feels very soft and breathable. This is due to the fact that it’s made of 100% cotton, that’s known for its durability and smoothness.
You can wash it in the washing machine without fearing that it’ll shrink after you dry it.
Tagless to ensure maximum comfort, this product has a decent amount of room and good length.
Considering the quality and that you get three shirts in the pack, this product is well worth the price.
- Breathable and soft cotton
- Durable and tagless for increased comfort
- Doesn’t shrink too much after washing and drying
- Three shirts for at an affordable price
- The material is very thin
- The collar is slightly flimsy
Crafted from superior quality, Supima cotton, Lacoste V-Neck Undershirt represents the best combination of comfort, style and versatility.
As you’ll first notice, it’s really long. But this shouldn’t bother you too much because being long allows it to stay well tucked.
That way, you can wear it like a regular T-shirt and still look stylish.
Featuring short sleeves, small croc applique at ham and being tag free makes this product versatile and for almost any daily occasion.
Inside the pack, there are three shirts available in black, white and grey color. You can safely wash all of them in the washing machine and they’ll still maintain the color and shape.
- Super soft Supima cotton with just enough stretch
- Stays well tucked
- Maintains the color and shape after washing
- Comes in three colors
- Thin material
- Way too long
Tagless, being made of breathable material and fitting exactly as expected, Hanes Crew Neck Shirt isn’t flimsy and doesn’t get wrinkled when you wear it under your clothes.
You can tuck it in and it won’t come untucked when you bend over allowing you a great range of motions, which is a huge plus.
However, some men might find them too be a little too long. In the beginning, it feels like it’s a size larger.
But another problem you soon discover is the shrinking that inevitably comes after you wash it in the machine.
Bear in mind that you get six shirts for a reasonable price. Don’t forget to take all of this into consideration before making a buying decision.
- Fit as expected
- Breathable material and remains tucked all day
- No tags that scratch the neck and shoulders
- Six shirts in the pack
- Shrinks a lot after washing
- Thin cotton material and seaming
Lightweight, breathable and soft, Esteem Apparel Undershirt is mainly designed to hide Gynecomastia or chest fat that some men are dealing with.
If you’re one of those men, it’s worthwhile mentioning that this product will give you an immediate chest slimming appearance, making your chest look defined and toned.
Even after an extended period of use, the shirt won’t use its compression elasticity, making you look great no matter the type of clothes you wear.
All these benefits are made possible with the most comfortable Nylon and Spandex available, but also with the highest quality materials.
The downside is that there aren’t larger sizes available at all. Besides that, a lot of men who wear it state that it’s too tight and they can’t breathe well when wearing it.
- High-quality, breathable and soft materials
- Doesn’t lose its elasticity over time
- Instant slimming effect that makes the chest appear toned and defined
- Invisible under clothes
- Feels too tight
- No larger sizes available
Ideal solution for men struggling with excessive sweating, Thompson Tee has hydro-shield sweatproof technology that absorbs and eliminates 100% of underarm sweat.
No longer will you have to deal with wet marks and yellow stains on your clothes thanks to the integrated layering and stitching sweat pads system this product has.
Furthermore, it’s completely breathable, allowing your skin to feel great at all times. Materials used in making this item are the premium combed cotton and bamboo.
Cotton makes it extremely soft and lightweight, while bamboo gives it durability. Sweat guards aren’t chemically treated, which means they’ll remain effective over time.
Finally, the collar is tagless and lays flat at all occasions. You can tuck it in your shirt and because of its length, it’ll remain that way all day long.
- Sweat-proof with underarm sweat pads
- Soft, lightweight and breathable premium cotton
- Stays tucked in throughout the day
- Tagless lay-flat collar
- Very expensive
- You get only one shirt
Made of genuine cotton with the seller’s logo on the left breast is what Emporio Armani Undershirt looks like.
The product fits as anticipated and the fabric is very soft, durable and breathable. It’s safe to wash it in the washing machine without the fear it’ll shrink.
After some time, it’ll stretch a bit, but not a lot, so you’ll still be able to wear it.
Even after several washes, the collar won’t twist at all. The shirt is long enough to stay tucked into your dress pants throughout the day.
Weird thing though is that the manufacturer sells the product like a pack of three undershirts, but a lot of customers only received one.
Taking into account its price, the item is expensive if you only get one instead of three as advertised.
- Breathable, soft and comfortable
- The collar doesn’t twist after several washes
- Stays tucked in to dress pants
- Doesn’t shrink when washed
- A lot of customers receive only one shirt, although it’s advertised as a pack of three
- Some may find it too large
Lightweight and with taped neck and shoulders for durability, Gildan Multipack contains six undershirts made of cotton.
Shirts are machine washable and won’t stretch even after washing them numerous times. With the moisture-wicking technology, you’ll be protected from sweating.
Neck and shoulders areas are taped to ensure durability. The product stretches just about enough and has a tubular rib collar.
Soft to touch and comfortable, this shirt is tagless and lays flat at all times. You’ll also notice how lightweight it feels when you wear it the whole day.
Finally, there’s enough fabric to tuck the shirt in your dress pants and rest assured that it won’t feel too stuffed.
- Moisture wicking technology to prevent sweating
- Doesn’t stretch even after multiple washes
- Lays flat and is tag free
- Reasonably priced
- Doesn’t feel soft and comfortable on the skin
- Extremely thin material
What most men appreciate in Gildan V-Neck Undershirt is the price, which is among the lowest on the market.
Compared to the quality, you can say that you get a lot for such a low price. There’s the moisture wicking technology that helps in preventing sweating.
Given that you’ll be spending a lot of time in it, this feature is pretty important to have.
Like all other shirts made by this seller, this one is also made of breathable cotton and has taped neck and shoulders.
It’s also tag-free and lays flat. When washed in the washing machine, it will shrink slightly, providing that the cotton it’s made of is pretty thin.
- Keeps you dry and prevents sweating
- Fits as anticipated
- Breathable and soft
- Low price
- Tends to shrink after washing
- Excessively thin fabric
Carefully selected, premium quality cotton makes David Archy Undershirt soft and as comfortable as possible.
The fabric is breathable and based on a moisture-wicking technology that inhibits sweating, keeping you feel dry and fresh all the time.
Large enough to stay tucked in your dress pants, you can wear this shirt during your workouts, but also as a casual outfit.
If you decide to wear it under shirts, it won’t be noticeable at all thanks to the flat stitches that provide seamless feeling.
The collar is a clean, classic V neck and it doesn’t get deformed after you wash it in the washing machine.
- Soft, breathable, moisture-wicking premium cotton
- Great length to stay tucked in the whole day
- No collar deformation after washing
- Flat stitches for the seamless under shirt wearing
- The cut under the arms is a little tighter
- Shrinks after washing
Being made of 5% of Spandex for stretchiness and staying tucked in the whole day, Ejis is likely to be one of the most comfortable undershirts you’ve worn in a long time.
There are two features that differ this product from similar ones. Waterproof layers under the armpits are one of them.
They ensure that your shirt stays sweat proof and impede sweat marks and yellow stains from appearing.
Each of these sweat pads has a soft premium micro modal fabric installed in it, so it feels more comfortable and absorbs sweat more effectively than regular cotton.
Silver fused fibers are yet another feature that separates this shirt from the others. It fights bacteria that cause bad smells and makes you feel fresh and clean.
- Waterproof layers under armpits stop sweat marks from appearing
- Silver fused fibers prevent bad smell
- Soft and water absorbent, premium micro model fabric
- Stays tucked in for as long as you wear it
- The sweat pads cover just a small area
- Too tight
How to Wash Your Undershirts
Now that you’ve chosen your undershirt, you don’t want to ruin the fabric by washing it the wrong way.
It’s like cultivating the perfect beard – if you don’t have the right beard care products, you are doing yourself a disservice.
Now, the perfect way to take care of your undershirt is simple. You don’t have to become a laundry master overnight.
But there are a few steps for you to make sure that you are getting the most out of the shirts you have purchased.
You should always wash your undershirts in the cold rinse so that they do not shrink under the heat.
If possible, put them in on gentle, since the fabric is thinner and more prone to rips and tears.
They can be put in with other clothes, so you don’t have to worry about loading them alone. It’s a nice plus to spray the armpit areas with stain or odor remover.
The purpose of an undershirt is to collect your sweat and make sure it does not spread to the rest of your clothes.
But if your undershirt becomes stained and dirty, it won’t be able to do its job anymore.
You don’t want a stinky undershirt that does the opposite of what it was meant to do.
Putting in fabric softener is also a plus, especially if you want your shirt to remain soft and comfortable.
This is usually added during the rinse cycle, which means you have to pay attention to when your clothes are washing.
Fortunately, though, most modern machines are equipped to automatically dispense fabric softener at the right time so you don’t have to worry.
If you don’t want to do a full load of laundry, you could always hand wash, too – here’s a short YouTube video explaining how.
With drying, again the gentle cycle will be your best bet. Just like washing, you don’t want to ruin the fabric.
Also, the heat from the dryer could shrink your undershirts. So gentle will give as little heat as possible, while still drying your shirt.
After they are done drying, it’s important to iron your shirt (or if you don’t feel like ironing, use a steamer for a quick and painless de-wrinkle).
You don’t want to get the bacon neck collar, where it bunches up and looks messy and unprofessional. As you iron, make sure the heat setting is appropriate for the material.
The heat settings for the best silk boxers will be far different from a cotton or jersey undershirt. Once you’re done ironing, you can fold them nicely afterward and place them into your shelf.
Whether they’re bringing together your professional attire or protecting your clothes from sweat, undershirts are one of the most important but overlooked articles of clothing in your wardrobe.
Putting on the wrong type of undershirt can throw off your whole day, so choose wisely!
Photos from: doodko / depositphotos.com, innovatedcaptures / depositphotos.com, pushinka11 / depositphotos.com, xload / depositphotos.com.