Perhaps you are looking for a style of facial hair that is fun and will definitely have you standing out in the crowd. If this sounds like you, then the mutton chops just might be the perfect new beard style for you.
This classic look still holds its powerful dominance even in the fashion world, drawing attention first to your face and then what you might be wearing. If you want to command attention regardless the room you are in, this guide on how to shave mutton chops will help you to achieve this appealing look also knows as sideburns.
The mutton chops are extremely popular because these sideburns styling can be left alone or with a variety of different mustaches or beards. Whether you are looking to make a bold statement or you are in love with the rockabilly genre of music, you will have little trouble getting that retro look with this style of beard.
One of the biggest benefits to this style is you can switch up the two styles when you want a change, and it will look completely different from the other style.
Here is a simple step by step guide to growing and grooming the perfect mutton chops:
Step 1: Choosing Your Style
The mutton chops have become so popular in recent years that there are actually two distinct styles you can choose from. These two styles are called the regular and the friendly mutton chops. The regular mutton chops will be shaped independently from the mustache or the beard.
The friendly mutton chops will be connected to both ends of the mustache, allowing it to give the illusion of a long continuous line of facial hair that extends from the sideburns to the chin and back around to the other side.
The history of the friendly mutton chops dates all the way back to the Civil War, where general Ambrose Burnside wore the sideburns in which eventually were named after him. Also, Wolverine is famous with his mutton chops in the X-men movies.
Step 2: Growing Your Hair
The first thing that you need to do regardless which style of mutton chops you have decided to go with, you need to let your facial hair grow out. The ideal time is to wait about a week after your last shave, the key to getting the best chops is thicker and full hair growth.
One thing to consider is that if you decided to go with the friendly mutton chops, you must allow your mustache and the top portion of the beard to grow out to the same length. One simple suggestion is to just let all your facial hair grow at the same time, this way you do accidentally trim off a part of the mutton chops while shaving your beard.
Step 3: Shaving Your Beard
Shaving your beard is best done with a regular razor blade, this will give you more precision and control than with using an electric razor. Choose the appropriate instructions below according to what style chops you are going to ultimately grow.
Shaving Your Regular Mutton Chops:
1. First, you need to decide on how long you want the mutton chops to grow.
2. Now that you have determined the length, carefully shave a clean straight line at the bottom of each sideburn.
3. Now starting towards the top of your ear, start shaving away the excess hair. Keep shaving to create the eventual shape you want.
4. Make certain that you leave the bottom of your new mutton chops wider, sort of like the bell bottom jeans shape.
Shaving Your Friendly Mutton Chops:
1. Between the two corners of your lips, begin to carefully shave the chin area.
2. Now that you have the chin area shaved, slowly shape the areas below and above that line where the mustache will meet the sideburn. This is going to create the ultimate shape of the new look.
3. Now carefully start to trim those sideburns and your mustache so that all the facial hair is the same length.
Now that you have the sculpting process complete, you have laid the groundwork for maintaining your mutton chops for as long as you want to keep this style.
Photos from: Tom Grundy © 123RF.com, Davide Fiorenzo De Conti © 123RF.com and Mandy Godbehear © 123RF.com.